Steps to take immediately

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured on campus you can call the University Security Team on 0114 222 4444. If you are off campus, contact the Emergency Services on 999. 

Find a safe space.
If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can call the University Security Team on 0114 222 4444 or the Emergency services on 999. 
Hackenthorpe Lodge Sexual Assault Referral Centre
The Sexual Assault Referral Centre, is for any person who is a victim of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault, either recently or in the past. They provide medical, practical and emotional support without police involvement. They can provide you with: sexual health information and referral services; information about reporting to the police and judicial processes; forensic medical examination, post-sexual assault follow-up care; support through the criminal justice system; practical support and referrals to other community services and consultation services to other professionals. Any person can access support from them directly without speaking to the police, but an appointment is required. 
If you are unsure about reporting to the police, but want to ensure that any forensic evidence is preserved, the SARC can offer forensic examination where any evidence that is collected can be stored for up to 7 years - giving you the space and time you may need to decide whether reporting the incident is the right choice for you. The sooner you’re able to contact and visit the SARC, the greater the chance of being able to preserve any evidence. 
You can find more information on the SARC's webpages: 
Phone 0330 223 0938 to speak to someone for advice or to make an appointment. 
Support for staff members

24 Hour Staff Helpline: You can contact the University's Staff Helpline and Counselling Service on 0800 028 1947. The service is free, independent, confidential and available 24 hours a day. 
Talk to your line manager: Particularly if your work has been/is being affected. 
Talk to a friend, colleague or family member: Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
Trade Unions: The University recognises four campus trade unions. UNISON UNITE, GMB and UCU. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice. 
HR: You can have an informal conversation with a Dignity at Work Adviser or your HR Representative. 
Other sources of support:
Hackenthorpe Lodge SARC see above

Sheffield Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre (SRASAC): [LINK] Offer confidential helpline support as well as counselling and advice on giving support to others who have been raped or sexually abused.  You can also access practical help and emotional support via an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA). 
Survivors UK: [LINK] Survivors UK are a charity offering support to men who have experienced sexual violence. Web and SMS chat can be accessed through their website. 
Galop - the LGBT+ anti violence charity: [LINK] Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and queer people who have experienced sexual violence, domestic abuse or hate crime. 
Making a report:

Reporting to the police (please call 999 for emergencies and 101 for non-emergencies). If you are thinking of reporting to the police, Rape Crisis have produced some helpful information. 
Reporting the incident anonymously. You can report online to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111. 
Report and Support: You can report an incident to the University anonymously or with your personal details using the University’s Report and Support system. 
If you choose to report anonymously we will not be able to offer direct advice and are unlikely to be able to initiate any formal processes. 
If you report using your contact details, a member of staff from HR will contact you to discuss support and available reporting options. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened