Steps to take immediately

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured on campus (including in the University Residences) you can call the University Security Service on 0114 222 4444. If you are off campus, contact the Emergency Services on 999. 

Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can call the University Security Service on 0114 222 4444 or the Emergency services on 999. 
If you need to get home or somewhere else safely, you can use the Safe Taxi Scheme
If the abuse involves someone under the age of 16 or they are otherwise classed as a vulnerable person, the abuse should be reported to the University Control Room on 0114 222 4085. 
Hackenthorpe Lodge Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), is for any person who is a victim of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault, either recently or in the past. They provide medical, practical and emotional support without police involvement. They can provide you with: sexual health information and referral services; information about reporting to the police and judicial processes; forensic medical examination, post-sexual assault follow-up care; support through the criminal justice system; practical support and referrals to other community services and consultation services to other professionals. Any person can access support from them directly without speaking to the police, but an appointment is required. 
If you are unsure about reporting to the police, but want to ensure that any forensic evidence is preserved, the SARC can offer a forensic examination where any evidence that is collected can be stored for up to 7 years - giving you the space and time you may need to decide whether reporting the incident is the right choice for you. The sooner you’re able to contact and visit the SARC, the greater the chance of being able to preserve any evidence. 
You can find more information on the SARC's webpages: 
Phone 0330 223 0938 to speak to someone for advice or to make an appointment. 
If you need help getting to Hackenthorpe Lodge within working hours, then please contact the University’s Central Welfare and Guidance Team who can arrange a taxi for you. 
Support for students

Talk to a friend or family member: Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs): You can speak to one of the University’s specially trained Sexual Violence Liaison Officers. We can help you to go through your options: including reporting the incident to the police, to the University, or just accessing medical and emotional support and making no formal report. To speak to an SVLO, please disclose with personal details via Report and Support and you will be contacted to arrange an appointment. 
Independent specialist support: There are a large number of support services you can call or visit who you can talk with about what has happened to you - see other sources of support below.  A Sexual Violence Liaison Officer at the University can also help to put you in touch with or make referrals to these external services. 
Other sources of support
Hackenthorpe Lodge SARC see above

Sheffield Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre (SRASAC): Offers confidential helpline support as well as counselling and advice on giving support to others who have been raped or sexually abused.  You can also access practical help and emotional support via an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA). 
Survivors UK: Survivors UK are a charity offering support to men who have experienced sexual violence. Web and SMS chat can be accessed through their website. 
Galop - the LGBT+ anti violence charity:  Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and queer people who have experienced sexual violence, domestic abuse or hate crime. 
Making a report
Reporting to the police (please call 999 for emergencies and 101 for non-emergencies). If you are thinking of reporting to the police, Rape Crisis have produced some helpful information. 
For non- emergency situations, if you would like to discuss this with a staff member in advance of reporting to the police, please report with your personal details via Report and Support so that an appointment can be made for you with a Sexual Violence Liaison Officer (SVLO). 
Reporting the incident anonymously to the Police. You can report online to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111. 
Report + Support: You can disclose an incident to the University anonymously or with your personal details using the University’s Report + Support site. 
If you choose to disclose anonymously we will not be able to offer direct advice and are unlikely to be able to initiate any formal processes. 
If you disclose using your personal details, a Sexual Violence Liaison Officer will contact you to discuss support and possible reporting options (male and female advisers are available). 
University disciplinary processes. A Sexual Violence Liaison Officer can help you to make a report to the Student Conduct and Appeals Team (if you are making a report against another student) or to Human Resources if your report relates to a member of University staff. 
If you choose to name a member of staff or a student in your disclosure, there are procedures which set out the actions the University may take, this could include initiating an investigation. 

When you report an allegation of misconduct by another student to the University, we have a dedicated team who will consider your allegation and liaise with you regarding next steps. It is likely that you will be invited to meet with one of the team to discuss your case in detail to establish the details of the incident/behaviour you wish to report. We do this using student regulations and policies such as the Disciplinary Regulations for students and the Student Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedure. 
The full range of possible sanctions is available in section 16 of the Regulations as to the Discipline of Students
Similarly if you report an allegation of misconduct by a member of University staff, Human Resources (HR) will take a lead on investigating your report. It is likely that as a first step you will be invited to meet with them to discuss your case and to establish the details of the incident/behaviour before an investigation is initiated. 
It’s important to be aware that University investigations are limited to investigating ‘misconduct’, only the Police are able to investigate from a criminal perspective. 
Your SVLO will be able to continue to support you, whether or not you decide to make a formal report. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened