Save the following information on your phone in case of an emergency.
If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured on campus you can call the University Security Service on 0114 222 4444. 

If you are off campus, contact the Emergency Services on 999. (For non emergency situations, you can call 101). 

Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
If you need to get home or somewhere else safely, you can use the Safe Taxi Scheme

Other Steps 
You may wish to talk to a friend or a family member.

If the incident involves a society or sports club, and if you feel it is appropriate, you may wish to talk to the committee of that society or sports team.
Central Welfare and Guidance
You can speak to one of the University’s Student Support Officers. 
We can help you to go through your options: including reporting the incident to the police, to the University, or just accessing medical and emotional support and making no formal report. 

To speak to a Student Support Officer, please report with personal details via Report + Support and you will be contacted to arrange an appointment. 

The University has a range of support for our students facing a variety of situations. 
The BME student support web page is here: 
Making a report 
If you choose to report anonymously we will not be able to offer direct advice and are unlikely to be able to initiate any formal processes. 
If you report using your contact details, a Student Support Officer will contact you to discuss support and possible reporting options (male and female advisers are available). 
University disciplinary processes 
A Student Support Officer can help you to make a report to the Student Conduct and Appeals Team (if you are making a report against another student) or to Human Resources if your report relates to a member of University staff. 
If you choose to name a member of staff or a student in your report, there are procedures which set out the actions the University may take, this could include initiating an investigation. 
When you report an allegation of misconduct by another student to the University, we have a dedicated team who will consider your allegation and liaise with you regarding next steps. It is likely that you will be invited to meet with one of the team to discuss your case in order to establish the details of the incident/behaviour you wish to report. We do this in accordance with  student regulations and policies such as the Disciplinary Regulations for students and the Student Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedure. 
The full range of possible sanctions is available in section 16 of the Regulations as to the Discipline of Students

Similarly, if you report an allegation of misconduct by a member of University staff, Human Resources (HR) will take a lead on investigating your report. It is likely that as a first step you will be invited to meet with them to discuss your case and to establish the details of the incident/behaviour before an investigation is initiated. 
It is important to be aware that University investigations are limited to investigating ‘misconduct’, only the Police are able to investigate from a criminal perspective. 
A Student Support officer is available for continued support, whether or not you decide to make a formal report.  

Hate Crimes and incidents can also be reported here:

There are two ways you can tell us what happened